Publishing an .exe app using VB.net

• 12 years ago

Hi,

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this seems a stupid question...I have created an app in VB.net and created the .exe file of the app...however I have a question.

Q.  In VB6 when you used the deployment wizard to create a .exe file you were given the option to decide where the user could install there application, does VB.net have a similar feature?

I have looked in the Project --> and the Name of Application you have created...in this section you have the Application, Compile, Debug, References, Resources, Settings, Signing, Security, and Publish options. 

Can anybody suggest how I can give the user the option to install the software in a directory where they want it? Rather than hard coding the directory into the application...as some of the users will have there own directories where thery want it installing. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul. Smiley Face

• 12 years ago

Only note: Using Application.StartupPath() can substitute some installations.

• 12 years ago

It sounds like you want to create an MSI which will enable the user to install your application in a user specified location. Take a look at the following link on Setup and Deployment Projects and see if it helps.   

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fyh6k4k4(VS.80).aspx

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.” - Seymour Cray