What technology to choose for a new application?

technology , gui , sql Prague, Czech Republic
  • 12 years ago
    Hello, I want to make a small information system for myself (invoices, orders, contacts, etc), I am thinking to use free version of MS SQL, I am not a professional coder, it is my hobby. I did last SW in VB6 and now I am starting again in C# after couple of years without coding. I see that there is a really a whole lot of technologies and my problem is that I do not know which I should choose and use. For example I see that there is WPF as a new GUI, I see that there is a lot of different ways how to access data in SQL database (LINQ for example), there is also Reflection, Generics, Delegates, Interfaces, Garbage Collector... My point is that I would like to avoid to read the whole MSDN and to study everything and then to decide. I would appreciate if I would know what should I concentrate on, what should I study into depth and what is not that important for me. I hope that somebody will understund what I mean and try to help. Thank you in advance Petr
  • 12 years ago
    If you're building a small desktop application, I would suggest * MS SQL Express * LINQ to SQL (makes it really easy to tie in to your database system) * WPF (unless you are already familiar with windows forms, and don't have the time to learn a new technology) Hope that helps

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.”