Formatting text

vb.net , vista , macbootcamp Dublin, Ireland
  • 10 years ago
    Hi all I need help with the following task: User posts text into textbox/grid etc Button is pushed. The text is formatted as if it were in a spreadsheet. ie Only x words per row Each cell is of equal length and width. To put it another way; The first letter of the second word of the first row. should be directly above the first letter of the second word of the second row. many thanks
  • 10 years ago
    Shared Function CheersomeColumnize(ByVal text$, ByVal padding_left As Boolean, Optional ByVal glue$ = " ") As String 'fizzle spaces - it means spacing is not really user scalable now While InStrRev(text, " ") > 0 text = text.Replace(" ", " ") End While Dim lines() As String = Strings.Split(text, vbCrLf) Dim words$() = Nothing, word$ = Nothing Dim maximals As New Generic.Dictionary(Of Integer, Integer), wix, tln As Integer Dim U% = lines.GetUpperBound(0) : Dim parts As New Generic.List(Of String()) 'create index (dict) of longest words, known for each column, keeping word arrays in 'parts' For Each line In lines If line <> Nothing AndAlso line.Length > 1 Then words = line.Split(CChar(" ")) : parts.Add(words) For wix = 0 To UBound(words, 1) tln = Strings.Len(words(wix)) If maximals.ContainsKey(wix) Then If tln > maximals(wix) Then maximals.Item(wix) = tln : Else : maximals(wix) = tln : End If Next Else : parts.Add(New String() {line}) End If Next 'pad all words from 'parts' according to max index Dim output(U) As String, noop As Boolean = CBool(maximals.Count = 0) For i As Integer = 0 To U words = parts(i) If Not noop Then For j As Integer = 0 To UBound(words) word = words(j) tln = Strings.Len(word) If tln < maximals(j) Then If padding_left Then : words(j) = Strings.LSet(word, maximals(j)) : Else : words(j) = Strings.RSet(word, maximals(j)) : End If End If Next End If output(i) = Strings.Join(words, glue) Next Return Strings.Join(output, vbCrLf) End Function
  • 10 years ago
    try that, but if you want to do it interactive (means user will edit), I would be curious if you can work it out for padding_right :)

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves” - Alan Kay