I need some advice

sql server 2005 , vb.net , library system , antitheft system , biometrics Nairobi, Kenya
  • 12 years ago
    I am working on a VB.Net library system. In the system, i want integrate anti-theft system, biometrics system and barcodes. if any one have an idea please advice me on devices to use and how to integrate them. Thanks in advance
  • 12 years ago
    uf, much better will be, if you put together what you know: do I know how to manage barcode this and that peripherals? do I know hierarchy of these systems for item, security and user? how secure this and that device will work? ... after you think this out, you should ask particular questions on every unknown thing (how to solve invalid barcode signal... or whatever). The best thing is to work with classes, so you can write 95 percent of code without knowledge of particular device... then you simply need only to create few classes, which are compatible to your solution, and which manage concrete devices or requests. Then you could ask only some questions around these "plugins"... now is your question toooo general :P Best regards, Matt
  • 12 years ago
    BTW you should start with ERD or ERDs mutation to show also processes of authorisation... one box as biometric device arrow to "biometric recognifiscator solution", from this box line to clients database, yesNo box, showing that authorisation is verified, YES going to "barcode scanning interface" etc...
  • 12 years ago
    Thank You for your advice but i can some body advice me on the devices to use(mostly for anti-theft system) which is easly integrated with vb,net
  • 12 years ago
    I think, if you are generally speaking of anti-theft systems, this can be easily separated (partly or totally) of application deployment - going with you speaking generally - if you need to secure books from being stolen, you can think about spiral antenne stickers and anti-theft gates, you can think about cameras, even about security prescriptions and architecture - as that you must let your baggage and clothing (not all :) in lockers, and so on - and this part of project is not necessarily connected to some pc work, although it secures whole object/project in considerable covering percentage. I think barcodescanners are easy to use, because they can flow their data "as keyboard input".

I have no experiences with biometrics and its plug. If you would be still somehow interested in what I adviced you before, I found this in my email today, you can check it :) [App architecture](http://www.codeproject.com/KB/architecture/Application_Architecture.aspx) and [this](http://www.developerfusion.com/article/8307/aspnet-patterns-every-developer-should-know/) is bit older and only little bit related

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” - Brian Kernighan