DataBase Connections using VB

mysql , vb6 php mysql , vb6 Dallas, United States
  • 11 years ago
    Hello. I am almost entirely brand new to VB, and I have a currently running website, which I am trying to write a site specific application for. However, upon consideration of it, and realizing that I need to use my DB connection string somehow, how secure is it to hard code a connection string into an app that would be used by my registered users? What is the best way to connect to my database with the app, firstly, to verify username and pass, and then to utilize my DB info in my tables? I am concerned about security, especially since I have been taking college course in Fundamentals of Network Security. The class hasn't covered how to do such things, of course. I am sure others have utilized web enabled apps to connect to their online databases. What are the methods used etc? I have a php driven website using MySql as the database. I can write php code and know a fair amount about the query language, but am new to using VB to create apps to run in conjunction with the website. I am wondering if maybe creating a JAVA app would be smarter for security purposes? Thanks in advance for the help! Ice

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra