How to update/delete mapping table records in SQL server 2005 - Help needed

asp.net 2.0 , vb.net , sql server 2005 , visual studio 2005 , linking table Wellington, New Zealand
  • 9 years ago
    Hi, I am using these: ASP.Net 2.0, VB.Net, SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, Typed dataset & data table adapters using xsd file and BLL classes. Example scenario (copied from somebody who asked the same question and not answered with examples.) Table 1 Main ID (autonumber) field1 field2 field3 Table 2 MainID HabitatID Table 3 Habitat ID (autonumber) field4 field5 field6 What I want to to do in my form: User enters records in table 1. Auto number is assigned, say '5'. User enters records in table 3. How do I ensure the records the user has entered in table 1 and 2 are linked? How can I make the MainID in table 2 the same the MainID in table 1? What should look like after user has entered all there records Table 1 Main ID (autonumber) =5 field1 field2 field3 Table 2 MainID =5 HabitatID =19 Table 3 Habitat ID (autonumber) = 19 field4 field5 field6 How can I do this? Help! In the SQL server database, I have enabled the cascading delete and update options both sides of relationship for the Table 2. But I don't know how to ensure the update/delete these table records through SQL statements (Store procedure) from a ASP.Net form. FYI: I am using Typed datasets & data table adapters using xsd file and BLL classes. Could somebody point any working examples in the internet? Thanks

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand.” - Martin Fowler