Strange Error on Attempt to Install VB.NET Service Application

.NET Framework , VB.NET , Windows Service United Arab Emirates
  • 11 years ago

I created a VB.NET Service application and I have decided to install it on my computer using installutils.exe. After building the application, I open the SDK framework command line and ran the following command:

installutil KleinDevortService.exe

KleinDevortService.exe being the built assembly for the service application. After running this command, I get the following:

*Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.312 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Running a transacted installation. Beginning the Install phase of the installation. See the contents of the log file for the E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe assembly's progress. The file is located at E:\Release\KleinDevortService.InstallLog. Installing assembly 'E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe'. Affected parameters are: logtoconsole = assemblypath = E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe logfile = E:\Release\KleinDevortService.InstallLog Installing service TestService... Creating EventLog source TestService in log Application... An exception occurred during the Install phase. System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security. The Rollback phase of the installation is beginning. See the contents of the log file for the E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe assembly's progress. The file is located at E:\Release\KleinDevortService.InstallLog. Rolling back assembly 'E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe'. Affected parameters are: logtoconsole = assemblypath = E:\Release\KleinDevortService.exe logfile = E:\Release\KleinDevortService.InstallLog Restoring event log to previous state for source TestService. An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the System.Diagnostics.EventLogInstaller installer. System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security. An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete. The Rollback phase completed successfully. The transacted install has completed. The installation failed, and the rollback has been performed.* I do not understand this error and I would appreciate anyone's help in explaining this error (System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security) and recommending an effective solution. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann