Web App Service Project - Assistance Requested

VB.NET , SQL , Visual Studio , Javascript Tampa, United States
  • 11 years ago

Hi all,

I was a web app developer several years ago now. (Unfortunately, before .NET) I’m working for a small company now who is just expanding their technology and my knowledge about what they are wanting to do is quite out of date.

I plan on taking some classes soon to get me up to speed, but I’d like to work on a project they wish to implement now. What I’m looking for is a developer who has a bit of time on their hands, who is willing to walk me through creating what they are looking for. I don’t have a great deal of money, but I’m willing to discuss compensation for time spent. I tend to learn better “on the fly” then I do in a classroom setting in any case.

The project involves creating a web service that can pull records from a SQL 2008 database that have address, city and state, send this information to Yahoo geolocation (or some other service provider), read the XML response and append the Lat and Long to the record.

It would be great, if the service were flexible enough to be able to be called from other apps, for direct user input of the information to return lat and long, or to be passed an IP address from an app to create a user tracking record with lat and long as well, but these are additional features, not necessary to the core project. Also, since Yahoo geolocation will only process 5,000 requests a day, it would be cool if the service would redirect to another geolocation service (Google, etc.) when Yahoo is over-limit or out of service for some reason.

I’ve been looking over different parts of this, but I’m not sure how to put it all together. That is, I could probably cobble together an app to do it, but I’d like to make it reusable to other apps developed in the future. Developers who are interested in assisting/tutoring me in this may contact me at [email protected]. Most of the knowledge I do have is in VB, VBscrips, Javascript and SQL. I work in Visual Studio 2008 and SQL 2008.

Those who are not interested in assisting directly, may still feel free to comment on the difficulty of what it is I’m looking to do here, what problems or issues I may run into, or any ideas for how to implement this.

Thanks for your attention.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.” - Dennis Ritchie