Problem with jquery selectors.

jquery , selector Philadelphia, United States
  • 11 years ago

I am trying to use this jquery slide function that i found online. It's a very basic slide plugin i suppose, which selects a div using the div's id tag. I wanted to make my menu hide/reveal multiple divs and therefore I modified this function that I keep in my .js file to make things work theoretically. But for some reason I cannot get this to work and I think that it might be that my selectors are implemented wrong in my js file. Here is an example of what I've got which seems to work except for when I try my modified code:

$(document).ready(function() {

$(".fadeNext_home").click(function(){  

$("#home").fadeSliderToggle()

return false;

})

});

This is the code that works in my js file:

caller = this

if($(caller).css("display") == "none"){

$(caller).animate({

opacity: 1,

height: 'toggle'

}, settings.speed, settings.easing);

}else{

$(caller).animate({

opacity: 0,

}

};

And this is a modified version with my own selector that does not work. And I think it's because of the way that I'm trying to interact with an id tag that was not passed to the js file:

if($(caller).css("display") == "none"){

if($("#home").css("display") != "none"){

$("#home").animate({

opacity: 0,

}

I'm new to jquery (obviously) and would appriciate any help. Thanks so much!

thanks, wes

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand.” - Martin Fowler