MySQL vs SQL Server - A student's question.

DataBase , Visual Basic , Beginner Modesto, United States
  • 11 years ago

I'm an advanced VB student and have a lot of questions about data bases.

I am developing a question/answer application as a learning project. I've decided that the Q/As should be contained in a data base, but I'm new to databases and don't know which one to use?

I've been using MS SQL Server Express because it was a free download, but a developer friend suggests that I use MySQL.

Is MySQL the way to go? I don't want to waste time studying if it isn't. Am I thinking along the correct lines about using a Db for my app? Am I correct in believing that a Db application (MySQL, SQL Server) is different from the Db file? What is the correct terminology for a Db application / Db file? Must both be deployed with my app? Which would be the better Db for my purposes, MySQL or SQL Server? Which would be easier to deploy?

Thanks for any help.

MD80study

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot” - Rich Julius