Query has me stumped!

• 18 years ago

I'm developing a site in ASP which allows the user to perform a search on items arranged in categories. For simplicity's sake, I'll strip down the problem to only the parts involved in the difficulty I'm having. There are three tables in question:

1) Items table: Contains all the items that can be searched. Each item has a unique int identifier, itemID.
    2) Categories table: Contains all of the categories to which the items can belong. Each category has a unique int identifier, catID.
    3) ItemCategories table: Relationship table between the items and categories. Contains two int columns, itemID and catID.

Each item can belong to zero or more categories, and categories can have zero or more items belonging to each.

So here's the difficulty: The user needs to be able to search for items in various ways, including selecting one or more existing categories to which the resulting items must belong. They must also have the ability to specify that the items returned must belong to at least one of the categories or all of them.

So I'm left with the task of trying to develop two queries which will do this. I came up with one that seems to work for the "at least one" case:

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT I.itemID
    FROM Items I, ItemCategories IC
    WHERE I.itemID = IC.itemID
    AND (IC.catID = [first category]
    OR IC.catID = [second category]
    OR IC.catID = [last category])

Changing the ORs to ANDs, however, does not work for the "all" case (which makes sense when I think about it), and I've been puzzling over how to do that for the last couple of days. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.”