Problem with getting cell values of gridview

• 9 years ago

Hi

I jus tried to get the cell value of gridview using the following code,but it returns nothing..can anyone help me to find what goes wrong with my code

Protected Sub GridView1_RowCommand(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewCommandEventArgs) Handles GridView1.RowCommand

If e.CommandName = "Select" Then

Dim idx As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument)

Dim row As GridViewRow = GridView1.Rows(idx)

LblDisplay.Text =
    "Customer Id: " & row.Cells(1).Text.ToString

'End If

End Sub

Regards

Shiji

• 9 years ago

hi Shiji,

try out this:

lblDispplay.text = gridview1.rows[idx].cells[0].text;

this will give you the text in first cell of the selected row. instead of 0 you can specify the column no. whose value you want to get.

Regards,

Royal

• 9 years ago

Hi

I tried this too.But am not getting the cell value.I can get upto index value.Dont know wats the problem in getting cell value...

• 9 years ago

try e.item.itemindex

as in:

gridview.items(e.item.itemindex).cells(0).text

That should work.

I made a post yesterday about client side validation with a link to my video site. As it happens, this video shows the code working too so if you have 10 minutes it is worth a watch.

Hope this helps

Tom.

http://tech.kruelintent.com

• 9 years ago

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply,but even this one also giving the problem

I will be grateful if you give the complete coding inside the rowcommand event of the gridview to retrieve the cell value......

Regards,

Shiji.

• 9 years ago

Watch the video on my site mate, the code is shown in that.

Failing that.... This is me grabbing a textbox (and it's contents) from a datagrid....

Protected Sub item_click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs)

lblMessage.Text = ""

If e.CommandSource.CommandName = "Clicked" Then

If grdDemo.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).Cells(0).Controls.Count > 0 Then

Dim myTextBox As TextBox = grdDemo.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).Cells(0).FindControl("txtPopMeUp")

If Not IsNothing(myTextBox) Then

If Trim(myTextBox.Text) <> "" Then

lblMessage.Text = ("Message from the server side: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & myTextBox.Text & " must be a valid date!")

End If

End If

End If

End If

End Sub

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra