Connection String Problem

asp.net , db , xml Chicoutimi-Jonquière, Canada
  • 12 years ago

Hi all,

At present I am using a connection string stored in my web.config file. What I want to know is that, when I deploy this appication on another network(intranet), how can I manage this connection string?

Certain issues related to this are:

- In my web application I have an option to create a new company. If a new company is created, I want that the blank database should be created with the company name. how this is possbile and in this case how I'll manage my connection string?

Regards,

Royal

• 12 years ago

The web.config is an xml file and I think there are a few 3th party tools that you can buy to work with it on a live server. But I would not do that because I believe that anytime you change your web.config you force your whole site to recompile.

I think the best way to handle these database connections is to put them in a main database. Which is a smart way to do it anyway it makes managing these other companies alot easyer. You can create a class that will pull the right database connection from the main database for each companies.

• 12 years ago

Thanks Freon. I am working on it, if I get struct at any point I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Royal

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson