Multi-threading in GUI environment

Multi-threading , VB.net , GUI , user-controls , Delegate , Invoke Bombay, India
  • 10 years ago

Hi,

I made a simple Form1, with Text.Box1 (starting value=1) and Text.Box2 (starting value = 100000).

I wanted that, when the Form loads,value of Text.Box1 keeps on increasing by 2 and value of Text.Box2 keeps on

decreasing by 3. I wanted to achieve this by multi-threading.

Following is the code I wrote, which definitely has some problem with it.

Imports System.Threading.Thread Public Delegate Sub funcHolder(ByVal diff1234 As Integer) Public Class Form1 Dim i As Integer Dim j As Integer '------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load Dim upd12Holder As funcHolder Dim upd34Holder As funcHolder upd12Holder = AddressOf upd12 upd34Holder = AddressOf upd34 Dim t12 As New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf upd12) t12.Start(2) Dim t34 As New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf upd12) t34.Start(3) End Sub '------------------------------------------------------------- Public Sub upd12(ByVal diff12 As Integer) While (1) TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text + diff12 For i = 1 To 10000 'delay loop Next i End While End Sub '------------------------------------------------------------- Public Sub upd34(ByVal diff34 As Integer) While (1) TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text - diff34 For j = 1 To 10000 'delay loop Next j End While End Sub '------------------------------------------------------------- End Class It would be very helpful if you could help me identify and correct the problem. Thank you all.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson