Oracle Stored Procedure Doubt.

oracle Malaysia
  • 17 years ago

Hi,
    I have a stored procedure in oracle with one input parameter. For that the values will be coming as a,b,c,d.

How do i process this in my stored procedure so as my query will be

select * from tab where x in ('a','b','c','d')

thnks in advance

Chio!!!!
    Lavy

• 17 years ago

You can't exactly do that with a single input parameter.  If you do, Oracle would interpret that code like this:
    select * from tab where x in ('a,b,c,d')
    It won't see the individual strings as separate search criteria.

There are workarounds, however.  Pass in 'a,b,c,d' and change the query to:
    SELECT * FROM tab WHERE REPLACE(parameter, x, '~~') != parameter
    If '~~' can actually be one of the values you're looking for, change it to something that can't be there.  Anything longer than the column will do the trick.  Also, if commas can appear in the column, use a delimiter that can't.  
    This method will allow you to use bind variables and pre-parsed SQL, but you'll be giving up indexes on column x.

Otherwise used dynamic sql and pass in '''a'',''b'',''c'',''d''' and use code like:
    vsql VARCHAR2(2000);
    BEGIN
     v
    sql := 'SELECT * FROM tab WHERE x IN (' || parameter || ')';
     OPEN cursorvariable FOR
       v
    sql;
    END;
    Where cursor_variable is the output cursor for the stored procedure.
    This lets the precompiler use the indexes on column x, but it will have to parse the statment each time the parameter changes.

If there are other criteria that significantly narrow down the result set, or if the table has few rows; you'll probably be better off with the former method.  If it's a large table and the only selective criteria is that one column, then go with the latter.  Try testing them first on a large enough data set to mimic production conditions.  

Good Luck

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil.” - Donald Knuth