EXE Decompiler ?

.net , vb6 United States
  • 19 years ago

Is it possible to Decompile VB Executeables ?

• 19 years ago

Of course, but doing something like that would be called HACKING, something decent programmers shouldn't even think about ;-)

Sorry...

Cheers,

Thamar

• 19 years ago

I think that it is almost impossible or very hard or not so common. But I know that exe file can be decompiled in Assembly Language. You can find by search on net for that!
                                                          Shoaib Hasan.
                                                           Saadi Soft.

• 19 years ago

VB6 decompilers really don't exist.  You have to use kernel-resident debugging tools like SoftIce.
    There are decompilers for VB v5.0 and earlier out on the net.

And to the comment about hacking - lots of places have legacy code - just the .EXE not source code.
    They can't do anything with their software unless they can decompile.  There is a big market in this area right now.  Lots of companies want to move off ancient minis and onto PC servers, but misplaced their source code 10 years ago.  VB6.0 does not decompile well.

• 19 years ago

I do not know alot about the operation of compilers or decompilers, so my comments are based purely on my expertise in other areas of computing. It would be great to decom. exes back to the original source code, but this probably isn't possible. When code is compiled, alot of information in the code is lost, for example REM statements are not included in the exe, and the names of controls, forms etc. are converted into ID numbers in the exe. Therefore if you were to decompile an EXE back to code, it would be extremely hard to use in an efficient manner, and nearly impossible to manipulate. Decompilers are available, but they dont decom. back to code, they decom. to easily understood ASM instructions, or hexadecimal representation of the exe code.  

• 19 years ago

Although, it's extremely difficult and might be impossible in low-level compiled languages such as ANSI/C++, there are some utilities that let you know what a program (or exe file) is actually doing.

Check out Data Rescue IDA disassembler:
    www.datarescue.com/

• 19 years ago

Indeed, many programmers are concerned with the current releases of .NET, which are extremely easy to decompile. There is currently an excellent program that decompiles compiled .NET code into C# ... :-) Great for open-source promotion, but not so great for those trying to make money out of it...!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.” - Robert Sewell