Implicti commit

oracle Nepal
  • 15 years ago

I know that the changes to tables in oracle database are temporary until we issue commit or rollback command. But one intersting this is that : I am using oracle 8i and when i log on to the database with user id scott and make some changes(delete or update) to the tables and exit oracle(sql plus) without issuing the commit command. Next time when i log on to oracle , i found the canges are permanent. how came this?

Are the changes meade to database  permanent without issuing commit? is so..then what is the need of commit command?

Thank you

• 15 years ago
    When you exit sqlplus it issues an implicit commit.There are some other conditions when happen an implicit commit will perform. If you want to check default behavior then insert something and do a select within that session.You won't see changes!
    -Good luck!
  • 15 years ago

You can set autocommit on or off
    if autocommit commit is on, each sql statement is committed.
    if autocommit is off, you have to give the explicit commit command.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson