Visual C# or VB.net ?

.net , csharp Phoenix, United States
  • 14 years ago

Well, here goes..

I have been using VB6 Pro for about 5 months..I have recently possed a copy of VS2005.

I have talked with a few developers and they have all said that if i were going to start coding, i should just goto C#..I cant seem to find anyone using C# to do the bulk of thier coding..

Is Visual C# just somethin ppl use to do odd tasks , like a side kick to VB?

Should i go back to VB(VB.net) or continue with Visual C#?

Also, any good books for learning Visual C# ?? the Amazon reviews arent that good on this topic..I do have a copy of "Murach's C#"

• 14 years ago
    I was in an almost identical situation as you.  I had background in VB6 and wanted to move on to .NET.  I went the route you described, I use VB.NET and use C# for "odd jobs" (like for example, Image Processing routines that need to use pointers).  Since you are coming from VB6, I suggest VB.NET just because you're familiar with the general structure.  Just remember though, VB.NET is largely different from VB6.

Having said that, once you learn something in one .NET language, it is really easy to apply it to another.  I am trying to become just as robust in C# as I am in VB.NET.  This is probably a good idea to make your skills more marketable to employees...

The only C# book i own is "Professional C# 3rd Edition" by Simon Robinson, Christian Nagel, Karli Watson, Jay Glynn, Morgan Skinner, and Bill Evjen

And honestly, it has everything in it to have a good understanding of C#.  I learned the C# equivalent of everything I have ever learned about VB.NET and in a lot less time since I was already familiar with a .NET language.

• 14 years ago

C# is at least as widely used as VB.NET so you just aren't looking in the right places.  Many VB6 developers I've spoken too recommend moving to C# from VB6 rather than VB.NET.  That's because VB.NET is similar enough to VB6 that it is easy to fall into the trap of expecting things to work the same way when they often will not.  C# is different enough that you are more likely to just assume that things are different.  Also, learning VB.NET can make it hard to go back and code in VB6 because you start to get used to the way VB.NET works.  Often times it is detrimental to try to do two things that are similar as they can each detract from your ability to do the other.  Doing two things that are different helps you use a completely seperate mindset for each.  Having said that, there are plenty of people who have successfully made the step from VB6 to VB.NET.

• 14 years ago
    Thank you both for your Opinions and quick feedback. I guess that maybe ill just open up VB.net for a few months and start there..

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger Dijkstra