ADO .NET with VS2005

• 14 years ago

Can anyone give a good explantion of how this works(with examples) for simple connections, using SQL statements, etc. - or direct me to a good web site?  I've been reading for awhile now and have only managed to get a headache.  Recordsets in VB6 came so easy to me - everything was straight forward - set a connection, give a query, execute.  The idea of a DataAdapter and a DataReader are foreign to me. 

The most I have been able to do is the below code that reads information from a XLS file.  However, if I try to enter the SQL statement to the DataAdapter anywhere other than during declaration I get an error.  How do you program dynamically if you have to hard code a statement in and declare a new DataAdapter for a different statement?  Also, what if I don't want to read, but delete, modify, etc.?  The idea of filling a data set when I want to delete records seems bizare. 

Anyway, any pointers are welcome.  I just can't seem to find a good reference for ADO .NET 2.0 that covers all the basics. 

Thanks,
    -Tril

Dim xlsConnection As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
    Dim xlsDataAdapter As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM [JOBS$]", xlsConnection)
    Dim xlsDataSet As DataSet = New DataSet
    Dim xlsDataRow As DataRow

xlsConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=F:\Brian\WIP\BrianWIPLIST.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1"
    xlsDataAdapter.Fill(xlsDataSet)

For Each xlsDataRow In xlsDataSet.Tables(0).Rows
        If xlsDataRow("JOB #").ToString = String.Empty Then
        Else
            If IsNumeric(xlsDataRow("JOB #") Then
                msgbox(xlsDataRow("JOB #"))
            End If
        End If
    Next
    xlsConnection.Close()

• 14 years ago

I'd suggest looking for Microsoft.Application.Blocks.Data.  This free component from Microsoft comes with some really good examples of how to use a data layer within your application.

also check out the quickstarts in the .net SDK

hope this helps

• 14 years ago

Hi,

Try these links: http://www.vkinfotek.com/data.html (ADO.Net object model)
                            http://www.vkinfotek.com/object.html ( Retrieving data from database using DataReader)
    If you learn ADO.Net object model in .Net, you can easily develop the application.

Regards
    Bhar

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the responses.  I am swamped at work right now, so learning new things is on the backburner - but as soon as I get a break I will read up on those sites.  They look promising.  Thanks again.

EDIT => Ok, I had a chance to look over the website - and here is where I keep running into a wall.  It seems that I must be missing something simple because the description for commands claim to allow exactly what I'm trying to do.

Anyway, lets start with a simple problem first.  I can't get the DataAdapter to function unless I declare a new one and set it's properties all at the same time(which makes it impossible to code effectively).  For example:

Working code
    Dim xlsDataAdapter As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM [JOBS$]", xlsConnection)

Broken Code
    Dim xlsDataAdapter As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
    xlsDataAdapter.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM [JOBS$]"
    xlsDataAdapter.SelectCommand.Connection = xlsConnection

In the broken code, I get an error on the 2nd line "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

The problem with this is I can't declare a variable more than once in a piece of code, so I can't have multiple(or variable) commands to a data source unless I hard code them in.  That website explains what the DataAdapter can do, but does not supply syntax for using it.  What I need to know, is how do you declare ONE adapter and ONE connection 'variable', but be able to clear its contents and reuse.  That way the code is clean, but the function is versatile.

Thanks for any input.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves” - Alan Kay