Idea

• 14 years ago
    OK, so I haven't been on the forums in some time now, but regardless.

An idea just came to me and I would like some feedback on it.  You all are most likely familiar with wikis (Wikipedia) right?  Well what about forming one for programming topics?  Many coding articles I come across are outdated, incomplete, or contain errors.  Wikis seem to never have these problems.  Of course there is the issue of vandalism but Wikipedia has a nice system for handling it.

Other areas where the wiki format may be beneficial:
    1. Some authors don't comment their code, with it being a wiki, others could add them
    2. Some articles contain things like "you can extend it to do _____", with it being a wiki, others could
    3. Some very technical subjects have information scattered all over the place, a wiki would allow individuals who are experts in each area to add their part to the subject

What do you guys think?  I'm just tossing around ideas and seriously just thought of this five minutes ago, it may have been done already.

• 14 years ago

It seems a good IDEA to me

• 14 years ago

Nimpo,

I agree with you.  On several occasions I have come across coding articles which are outdated, incomplete or not easy enough to follow, and I have often wished that I could alert other users to the fact or convey my findings/observations to the author so that they can amend the article.

As you say, the main problem is vandalism, however, "soft security" concentrates on making it easy to undo malicious changes as opposed to trying to prevent them, and, as long as some sort of roll-back feature was available I cant see any problem.  I assume that the majority of site visitors would have a genuine interest in the content and would wish to contribute.

I must say that I wouldn't know where to begin but I will try and assist you in any way I can!!!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone” - Bjarne Stroustrup