If statement

• 13 years ago

I have created a form that allows the user to create a report document.  The user clicks "Print Report" from the "File" menu and a MS Word document opens up with the information they want to display.  I created a mock form with three text fields: First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name.  Beside those fields I have a checkbox.  I want the user to be able to select which fields they want to show on the report.  Below is the code I'm using for my conditional statement:

If First_Name_Check.Checked Then

With oWord.ActiveDocument.Sections.Item(1)

.Range.Font.Color = Word.WdColor.wdColorBlack

.Range.Text = "First Name: " & First_Name.Text

End With

End If

If Last_Name_Check.Checked Then

.Range.Text = "Last Name: " & Last_Name.Text

End With

End If

The problem is that if I select both checkboxes, when I click "Print Report," only the last name information displays instead of both fields.  What am I doing wrong?????

• 13 years ago
    The problem is you are over-writing the first name with the last name instead of appending to it.  For example if you wanted to put the first name and last name in a textbox and did the following you would only end up with the last name.
    Textbox1.text = First_Name.text
    Textbox1.text = Last_Name.Text
    I'm not sure if this works in this case but try this in your second if statement:
    .Range.Text &= "Last Name: " & Last_Name.Text
    You could also try combining the output first and then writing it to the document. For example:
            Dim output As String = ""

If First_Name_Check.Checked Then output = "First Name: " & First_Name.Text
            If Last_Name_Check.Checked Then output &= " Last Name: " & Last_Name.Text

.Range.Text = output.TrimStart
            End With
  • 13 years ago
    i actually figured out the problem...thanks for your help!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are 10 types of people in the world, those who can read binary, and those who can't.”