Am I C++ forever?

.net , csharp Cardiff, United Kingdom
  • 13 years ago
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was anyone here who has successfully made the transition from C++ to C# when changing job?

I have been a C++ developer for 3 years in a commercial environment and a self educated C#/.NET developer in my spare time. Yet when i talk to agencies about looking for a C# job they look at me like i am simple! (not that they would know the difference between C++ and C# of course)

I find it extraordinary that companies are willing to ignore a virtual treasure trove of development experience by presuming that C++ developers are incapable as .NET developers Am i on my own here?

I have had a number of agencies tell me that without 2-5 years of commerical .NET experience that i have no chance of getting an interview.......what percentage of the development community has 2-5yrs .NET experience? 1%?

If i was to put what i feel the major difference between .NET and MFC is in one sentence it would be 'well its a hell of a lot easier!'

My favorite job i have found so far was a company supposedly willing to take on C++ developers for C# work however i would have had to complete a Microsoft training course in my spare time while in my current employment, the course would have been 6 months! And thats not the best bit, they wanted me to pay 3 grand towards the course fees!

I think thats a good enough rant for starters, anyone in a similar position/have been in the position before?

• 13 years ago

My own two penneth:

As a hardened V programmer with a bit of C++, when I finally gave in and installed c# and started using it, I loved it. It makes life so much easier than c++, and it honestly takes little getting used to.

The biggest help you can have is a working program to debug.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are only 3 numbers of interest to a computer scientist: 1, 0 and infinity”