against piracy of an installed software

• 13 years ago

how to retrieve the computer identification, when the user is connected to the internet,

other then daily online registration, how and what can we edit the computer registries values in a computer while

installing the software so that no one can duplicate the software.

plz reply...

Aman. 

• 13 years ago

I am afraid to say that few, if any, software protection mechanisms are 100% secure.

Registry monitoring tools exist that make simply writing value to the registry a waste of time.

However, if you believe that you need some protection for your product, I would offer this suggestion:

1.  During the installation, your application/installer obtains the serial number of the hard drive and the network card ID also. 

2.  It uses this information to request an authorisation key from a web service that you have implemented.  You will then have control over how many PCs the software is installed on.

3.  However, as you cannot expect a user to tell you when their PC is stolen or destroyed, you may not be able to verify whether your software has been uninstalled, such that a re-install is allowable.

4.  You can make the method a little better by incorporating your own unique serial number against each product - the web service can then use this to match up products to hard drives/network cards, thus helping you with repeat installs.

Your only decent chance of protection is to go down a hardware route using a dongle.  Even then, software emulators for many dongles exist.  However it is my preferred recommendation should you *really* need to incorporate some form of proection for your product.

HTH

• 13 years ago

Hi., I had thought many times on the software piracy.  Whatever method you bring, there is going to be a torrent...  As of now i feel and suggest you to concenterate on developing your applications with a target of XBAP.  So the application can be deployed as clickonce and you can force the app to work in the client only online-basis.  In such case you can get a better control of who and how your clients are using your software.

Regards

RV

• 13 years ago

And also remember some nice utopy as IrfanView where protection is part of author and its mentality :)

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debuggers don't remove bugs. They only show them in slow motion.”