how to get details from two different dates

• 10 years ago

i hv a table named jobrequest in sql databse...i'm using two different date to retrieve there any ways to get data by providing two diff date.....the dates will be stored in a same filed.....

for example:

column name:getdate, id

getdate fields   1) 1/10/07                id fields:    1) A1

2)2/10/08                                  2) A2

3)8/11/2008                              3)A3

so hw to get the details between two dates.....

front end =

back end = sql server 2000

• 10 years ago

I suppose it depends where you want to handle the date manipulation.
    1. Manipulate from sql, eg:
    DATEDIFF(day, '10/10/2000', '12/10/2000')

Will return the amount of days between the two dates, you can choose any date/time modifier in the first parameter, day, hour, month, etc. You can also use other sql date manipulation functions, or create a function of your own to create specifics. You generally have to convert a date to string, but you don't have to convert a string to date; just as long as its syntactically correct.
    2. Manipulate from vbnet:
    This requires manipulating DATE objects, and if you want the same functionality, using a TIMESPAN object: eg,
    Private d1 As Date = #10/10/2000#
    Private d2 As Date = #12/10/2000#
    Dim ts As TimeSpan
    ts = d2.Subtract(d1)
    Dim str As String = ts.TotalDays.ToString()

There are other useful timespan properties and methods. You should be aware however, unless you changed the datetime specific to your region on the database, the result will be month/day/year. This really screwed with my head until I realised it. This is'nt a problem with vb as it converts the date from the server. So it depends, server = less code but more overhead, vb = vice versa.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Never trust a programmer in a suit.” - Anonymous