Datasets Joining

• 13 years ago
    What would the most efficient way be of doing this. I have a local database and a web database. My application has a dataset for the local DB and the Web based one. At regular timed intervals say every 30 minutes I want to compare the web database with the local database and download any of the latest records and then upload any modified records from my local store. What would be the best way of doing something like this ?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • 13 years ago

database servers offer a process called replication. you can consult your database documentation on the matter.

also, you can write your own service that will check from time to time what changed and synchronize the databases, but why re-invent the wheel?

regards,

bogdan 

• 13 years ago

You could use a DataView on the Web app

Dim dv As DataView = New DataView(YourDataTableHere)

By using the dataView you have far greater control over the two applications, they are essentially working in tandem, but the data remains separate until you confirm all changes made to the DataView. I would suggest you read MSDN documentation just to make sure it is suitable for your scenario.

The best point about DataViews is that you have great control over the types of modifications made; such as added, modified or deleted.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of whether submarines can swim.” - Edsger W. Dijkstra