Getting Culture Information through Javascript

.net , asp.net , java , javascript , xhtml Ambāla, India
  • 13 years ago

Hi All

I am developing one web application in which I have used the localization concept introduced in .net 2.0

I am dispalying my UI based on the client culture.Now I want the information regarding the browser at client side as I can able to know about the language of client browser. And Hence I will be able to show the UI culture specific as to client browser.

But I am not finding anything which can give me browser language information (example: if English en-US) through JAVA SCRIPT I have used navigator but it is not working with IE 6.0 & above Considering user is using IE I have to find another way

Please help remember it all I want to do in JAVA SCRIPT     

Thanks in advance

Swapnil

• 13 years ago

Hi,

When i want to get some server data into a javascript function, i tend to stick with using a client callback, the javascipt function can call a server side function without causing a full postback and have the UICulture returned to it in a string.

That way, regardless of browser, you should be able to get the result you want.

Let me know if you need help with it.

Si

• 13 years ago

HI Slicksim

Sorry I didn't get you actally wht I want is like google when you open google it checks the UICulture of your computer and accordingly it displays the homepage.

Also I am very much intrested in knowing your concept.

Pls give me any info. you have

takecare Bye

Swapnil

• 13 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to attach a zip file with a mini project for you to use, but it seems i can't.

Here are the contents of the two files i have used, sorry it is VB.Net, i don't do C#.

This is the .aspx page

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Untitled Page</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
            function Culture(cult)
            {
                alert(cult);
            }
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
            <div>
            </div>
        </form>
    </body>

This is the aspx.vb file

Partial Class _Default
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
        Implements ICallbackEventHandler

Public Function GetCallbackResult() As String Implements System.Web.UI.ICallbackEventHandler.GetCallbackResult
            Return Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture.Name
        End Function

Public Sub RaiseCallbackEvent(ByVal eventArgument As String) Implements System.Web.UI.ICallbackEventHandler.RaiseCallbackEvent

End Sub

Protected Sub form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles form1.Load
            Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType, "getculture", "<script  type='text/javascript' language='javascript'>" & ClientScript.GetCallbackEventReference(Me, "", "Culture", "") & " ;</script>")
        End Sub
    End Class

Hopefully that will help you out.  if you need it explaining, just let me know.

Simon C

• 11 years ago

Hi

The following command can help you.

this.clientInformation {...} appCodeName: "LTMM" appMinorVersion: "0" appName: "Microsoft Internet Explorer" appVersion: "" browserLanguage: "en-us" connectionSpeed: {???} cookieEnabled: true cpuClass: "x86" mimeTypes: {...} onLine: true opsProfile: null platform: "Win32" plugins: {...} systemLanguage: "en-us" userAgent: "LTMM" userLanguage: "en-us"

Kishor Rudra

• 11 years ago

Hi

The following command can help you.

this.clientInformation.browserLanguage

Kishor Rudra

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared.” - P. J. Plauger