Sorting Excel Data using VB

• 12 years ago

Dear Community

I have a dataset on an Excel spreadsheet (currently within the cell range A6 to I54). I am using the VB SortRange procedure driven by a macro button , shown below (Code 1), to sort data first using Key1 input (in this case the contents of Column I starting at Row 6), and then by Key 2 input (in this case the contents of Column A starting at Row 6). This is all working perfectly and I have no issue with this. As the dataset is going to have many lines added to it, the end of the range (in Column I) is going to change frequently and not remain constant at Row 54. What I need to do is get the code to determine the end of the range automatically, rather than me or anyone else to have to define it explicitly each time additional rows are added. I have tried 2 other versions of sort procedure to deal with this problem (see Code 2 and Code 3), but I keep getting the error message 'Run Time Error '1004' - The Sort reference is not valid etc. Can anyone let me know how to get VB to carry out this additional operation? I know this is quite straightforward, but it isn’t working for me yet.

In addition, I would like this sorting procedure to be driven automatically using a cell 'event' trigger (e.g. 'change event') to run this macro dynamically, rather than having to manually press a macro button. Can anyone help with this please?

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Best wishes Eliot

Code 1 

Sub SortRange1() Worksheets("Schedule").Range("A6:I54").Sort _

Key1:=Worksheets("Schedule").Range("I6"), _

Key2:=Worksheets("Schedule").Range("A6")

End Sub

Code 2

Sub SortRange1()

Worksheets("Schedule").Range("A6").Sort _

Key1:=Worksheets("Schedule").Range("I6"), _

Key2:=Worksheets("Schedule").Range("A6")

End Sub

Code 3

Sub SortRange1()

Worksheets("Schedule").Range("A6").Sort _

Key1:=Worksheets("Schedule").Columns("I"), _

Key2:=Worksheets("Schedule").Columns("A"), _

Header:=xlGuess

End Sub

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint Exupéry