Create a new data control in vb.net, late binding

creating controls , data control , db.net Houston, United States
  • 12 years ago
    Is there, or can I create a new control that acts much like the vb6 COM data control that allows me to drop the control on a form and set late binding to a table or query in a MS Access database? Thanks, Mike
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Mike, My WinForms is a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure binding to a DataGridView with a DataSet etc will automatically generate columns for you at runtime based on the data you give it. Hope that helps,
  • 12 years ago
    Hi James, I'm upgrading a large vb6 vertical market program to vb.net. In that program I used the data control (ADO) and set all connection parameters in code, then assigned text boxes datasource as the ADO data control. A very simple process. I don't want to use the data sources provided by the IDE, I would rather have a data control that I can instantiate at run time instead of creating all these connections (which seems to really slow the system down) in development. Any ideas? Mike
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Mike, I might be missing something here, but there shouldn't be anything to stop you from creating these datasources at runtime rather than design-time if that's what you want to do? You can set the DataSource of the control to whatever you like in your initialization code....
  • 12 years ago
    James, I'm using OLEDB connection and adapters that create a dataset and I'm populating fields as advertised. Is there a way you can show me in code (without using Wizards) how to create the data connections in the IDE. If I continue doing what I'm doing there will be hundreds of Data Sets in the IDE which will slowwwwww.... this sucker down quite a bit. Any thoughts, Mike

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot” - Rich Julius