Application Runs But Forms Do Not Appear

• 18 years ago

I have set up a new .Net  development machine running Windows XP Professional with IIS5 and SQL Server 2000  development edition loaded locally.  On loading Visual Studio .Net I created a test Windows Application project and a test Web Application, both functioned correctly.

Several days later I returned to the machine to start work in earnest and found the following.

On running a Windows Application it appears to build successfully (at least the output window shows build done with no errors and no skips) but the form does not display and the debug toolbar does not appear in the IDE.  Checking processes in Task manager shows the application running.

I have created a second windows application, which does no more than show a blank form.  On running that one I get the same result, a successful build, application shown as running in Task Manager but no form displayed and no debug toolbar

This morning in trying to investigate the problem further I found that I was also unable to access IIS.  The IIS admin service is running as is the Web Publishing Service.  But clicking on the IIS icon in Admin Tools produces nothing though MMC.exe then shows as a running process in Task Manager.  I manually added the IIS snap in to a new instance of the MMC successfully but clicking on the IIS icon just produced a never ending egg-timer.  Needless to say I am unable to run or create web applications from Visual Studio.

From the time of first install, when everything worked fine, to now when nothing works at all the only thing that has changed on the machine was an automatic update of Windows.

If anybody can tell me what has gone wrong and more importantly how to fix it I would be very grateful.

Cheers

• 18 years ago

All I can suggest first of all is trying to reinstall IIS and Visual Studio.net .... are there any other applications with a similar problem? You could try downloading another .net program, and seeing if that runs, to make sure everything works on that exe ok...

• 18 years ago

James,

I was and still am hoping to avoid a re-install.  Because I can't do anything with IIS including uninstall it I would have to zap the drive and reload windows, .net office, avti-virus stiff, firewall, Acrobat etc. etc etc..  I really can't afford to waste so much time, and lets face it I should not have to.  What's more if I reload it all what is to say that the problem will not re-occur.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Cheers

• 18 years ago

Posted just in case anyone else has this problem and searches for a solution.

After some digging I found that the Web Publishing Service was not starting (a look in the services window showed in permanently on "starting").  I switched its start up property to manual, re booted the machine and started the service manually and lo, everything works.

What caused the screw up in the first place I have yet to discover, but as I now have a functioning development machine without having to re-load anything I'll call it quits at this stage.

Cheers

• 18 years ago

A couple of suggestions:-

1. Download the .net framework sdk service pack
    2. If you have this already then try re-installing it (preferably uninstall VS.NET first then the framework)

I say this becuase the .net dlls could be corrupt. You could manually re-register them if you don't want to go uninstalling and re-installing stuff but I would deffinately recommend uninstalling vs.net and the framework and going again.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone” - Bjarne Stroustrup