VB6 -> VB7(.NET)

• 18 years ago

OK, so, do you want to tell me, that after all of that time (!!!) i put in to installing MS Visual Studio .NET
    i wont get to use my old VB6 projects ???

how absurd !!!!!

is this true ??

(+ since this is the first time i took this path, what are the advantages of the .NET what so ever ?)

• 18 years ago

u could still b using vb6 (dont uninstall vb6!)

u can ve both IDE's running in same computer
    to see the advantages, and other info about vb.net see the help in vs.net

good luck

• 18 years ago

I installed Windows (xp) insted of 98.
    so insted of installing VS that is contaning ususal MFC and VB6 i installed the .net thinking it will recognize old projects.

well, i guess it does not.
    i shuld have installed vb6.

(i am still missing C64 :-)

Thanx again.

• 18 years ago

I think you can upgrade because I have upgraded my versions sucessfully.  I have the Enterprise Architect version and it let me upgrade my vb6 progs to vb.net.... It could be the type of visual studio .net package that you have.   I think professional doesn't let you upgrade?!  I might be wrong but its an assumption

• 18 years ago

nope i think all version's of .NET have the upgrade wizard. I also run VS.NET EA[Universal Subscriber - get it if you can cause it saves you a shiate load when it comes to Microsoft Software].

I've successfully upgraded mosto f my work upto the .net standard using the tool but with the bigger projects i had to shift through(about a weeks work went into sorting ti out for all the projects) and change my code around. So its not easy but if your keen to reuse your old then do that.

I think start from the start again and just import stuff like functions unless its a very big project. I had to convert mainly because of the size but in the end it was a stupid thing to do.

Dont get me wrong but I love .NET, I think the VS.NET iDE is heaps better than the previous VS IDE's and the fact that it doesnt blow you away when you have typed syntax incorrectly like the VB IDE does is a godsend. But i wont be neccesarily using .NET anytime soon for commerical releases. its 20MB runtime is just to heavy to carry around. I'm gonna wait till microsoft does its 'thang' and move on for commerical/public development.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.” - Robert Sewell