.NET changeover/upgrade???

.net , vb6 United States
  • 18 years ago

Well... I did quite a couple of small apps in VB6... I just changed to VB.NET, and am starting to upgrade my projects... thing is, not all of my code updates well... and what does update doesn't produce the expected results, like reading text files, and webbrowser detecting a newwindow trigger...
    ANyone can provide a good tut/article on VB6 - VB.NET easy upgrade??? for the programmer, that is... Thanks...

• 18 years ago

Honestly my friend...Do not upgrade your VB6 applications to VB.NET ... reallly huge hassle.  By the time you know it, It would be better to just rewrite the program in .NET!

Get this book, I strongly recommend it if you are still going to upgrade
    Moving to VB .NET: Strategies, Concepts, and Code by Daniel Appleman, Dan Appleman
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115976/qid=1023742539/sr=1-24/ref=sr124/002-9598407-5124052

• 18 years ago

I second that motion.  For any non-trivial VB6 applications, it is easier to rewrite specifically for the .Net environment than to port.  Not that some portions of your code couldn't be copied.  But in general, the changes that I've found are deep enough that I spend all of the time that I save testing the converted application anyway.

My two cents.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Nine people can't make a baby in a month.” - Fred Brooks