A good Basic Forum

• 18 years ago

Ok.. I started a forum up, which im making myself..

Now so far i can add a thread. But no replies

Ok thats not my problem
    The point of this post is what is good or not good for a basic forum..

These are a few functions in the forum which are still in the testing stage

Search, Update User profile, Register, See All Members, Add thread, Reply to Thread, I was thinking about

Sending an email to people who are at threads, but not sure on a good way to do it..

Of course it will count posts, and eventually have good stuff, like VBcode etc. But at the moment its just a basic set up.. And do wanna chane it just yet..

So can anyone help with any more functions theyd like in this forum

• 18 years ago

Sometimes you post a message in a wrong forum.
    Maybe it's a good idea to write a function so that a user can move his post to another forum when he edits his post.

• 18 years ago

well.. that seems resonable.. to the extent many people could abuse that system....

well.. i could think about that one, but i think thats a mods job that to move them

• 18 years ago

people wouldn't be able to abuse it if you only allowed them to move topics that they had started....

• 18 years ago

well yeah, that to but, what i was meaning, which wasnt clear, was if a person put it in the right forum, and whenever they wanted they could just move it anywhere, now what i thought which would agree with this is have like a timer kinda thing

lets say 5mins sounds good, so something like say it was post at 3:40 so they have until 3:45.

Then move post is disabled, now of course that only allowed by the thread starter...

But in general i quite like this idea, do we have anymore

• 18 years ago

I think when a users enters a post in a forum, he wants that people respond to it. Why should he keep moving and moving it ?

• 18 years ago

well, thats if he/she does in this case, i guess i gotta cover all angles, but i guess i could just make mods either delete a post that continuely moves more than 2times... but i guess i gotta put that into consideration

• 18 years ago

I will test it for you

• 18 years ago

Well i would love it tested unfortunately theres not much to be tested.. except post a thread.. cannot reply.. <sarcasm>look at the lovely forum layout.... </sarcasm> and thats about it... im still building the functions up as i speak.. so maybe when we can get replies on ill put it up for a test..

Oh and yea. thanks for everyones contribution

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Engineers are all basically high-functioning autistics who have no idea how normal people do stuff.” - Cory Doctorow