XML Newbie help!

XML , Csharp , VS Melbourne, Australia
  • 7 years ago

Hi All,

I am pretty new to XML and struggling trying to extract some data from an XML document...

Here is a snippet of the document:

What I am trying to extract is the PoolType = "WW" and then within that the DivAmount and RunnerNo.

I have been playing around with GetElementByName and Attributes but just can't seem to find the values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers Dean

• 7 years ago

Heya, if you provide a snippet of the XML you are trying to parse, i'll see if i can show you how.

• 7 years ago

Hi AmzBee,

I did put it in here but it must have striped it... here it is again, or it it isn't there I have put it on pastebin.com as well :)

Appreciate the help, it's doing my head in.

Dean

http://pastebin.com/deTEjt3L

<ResultPlace PlaceNo="1">
    	<Result RunnerNo="6" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    		<PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="2.40"/>
    	</Result>
    	<Result RunnerNo="6" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    		<PoolResult PoolType="WW" Dividend="10.00"/>
    	</Result>
    </ResultPlace>
    <ResultPlace PlaceNo="2">
    	<Result RunnerNo="3" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    		<PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="2.50"/>
    	</Result>
    	<Result RunnerNo="3" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    		<PoolResult PoolType="WW"/>
    	</Result>
    </ResultPlace>
    <ResultPlace PlaceNo="3">
    	<Result RunnerNo="4" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    		<PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="1.20"/>
    	</Result>
    	<Result RunnerNo="4" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
    	</Result>
    </ResultPlace>

• 7 years ago

To use this example, its important to note i added a single enclosing tag callled results arround your xml, this is so that the xml parser would not throw a tantrum...

<results>
      <ResultPlace PlaceNo="1">
        <Result RunnerNo="6" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
          <PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="2.40"/>
        </Result>
        <Result RunnerNo="6" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
          <PoolResult PoolType="WW" Dividend="10.00"/>
        </Result>
      </ResultPlace>
      <ResultPlace PlaceNo="2">
        <Result RunnerNo="3" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
          <PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="2.50"/>
        </Result>
        <Result RunnerNo="3" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
        </Result>
      </ResultPlace>
      <ResultPlace PlaceNo="3">
        <Result RunnerNo="4" PoolType="PP" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
          <PoolResult PoolType="PP" Dividend="1.20"/>
        </Result>
        <Result RunnerNo="4" PoolType="WW" Ref50Pct="N" RefScratched="N" RefAbandon="N" RefNoWinner="N" NoPlacePool="N">
        </Result>
      </ResultPlace>
    </results>

To read this xml in c#, you could do the following...

public void ReadPools()
    {
        XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
        doc.Load("results.xml");

XmlNode results = doc.FirstChild;

foreach (XmlNode node in results.ChildNodes)
        {
            int PlaceNo = int.Parse(node.Attributes["PlaceNo"].Value);
            string message = string.Format("Place No: {0}\n", PlaceNo);

foreach (XmlNode result in node)
            {
                string PoolType = result.Attributes["PoolType"].Value;
                message += string.Format("Pool Type: {0}\n", PoolType);
            }

MessageBox.Show(message);
        }

}

I hope this helps :)

Aimee.

• 7 years ago

Hi Aimee,

That looks great thanks, but I am still struggling a little bit, maybe the whole XML feed might be a bit clearer... here is one of the feeds I get as an example. Now I have it all reading in fine and converting into an XmlDocument, I just dont understand how to get to the nodes and data properly :-S

http://unitab.com/data/racing/2011/2/3/AG1.xml

Regards, Dean

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter” - Eric Raymond