PHP/VB/Access Friend or Foe?

php India
  • 17 years ago

There does not seem to be much discussion here so I thought I would see what you guys think about a project I'm working on.  I'm doing some work in an environment with Windows, Linux and Iris operating systems.  I'm developing a reporting type program with a database backend.  I was going to start with PHP for the language and use each computer’s browser to access it with a mySQL database.  Now though we are using VB6 and Access.  The problem though is VB only runs on Windows so I will probably be using PHP accessing the Access database either with a DSN connection, or through ODBC.

Does anyone have experience with this and what should I watch out for?

• 17 years ago

i have experience with access and i say watch out for it..... and AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

run that past me again...... why did you decide to change from MySQL to Access??!!

Access is to MySQL as pen and paper is to Word XP!!

dont dont dont dont use access, especially if u use PHP, cos PHP and MySQL are designed to run together, there are special functions specialyl for mysql in php

• 17 years ago

why use vb at all?

• 17 years ago

We are using VB mainly because another person on the project is familiar with VB and not PHP/mySQL.  The other reason though is we are interested in interfacing biometric devices into the system in the near future and they only have SDKs available for VB and Visual C++.

However I am going to probably be doing most work now with PHP and will probably end up using a mySQL database and using the mySQL link to connect the one instance of VB to the rest of the system...

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Before software should be reusable, it should be usable.” - Ralph Johnson