PHP vs otherstuff

• 19 years ago

I'm starting on PHP right now...but what are some advantages of learning it? (over like javascript and plain html) Am i going to be able to make a kickass website like this if i get good at it?

• 19 years ago

Yes! PHP can't really be compared to JavaScript or HTML, as it is run on the server rather than the client. If you know ASP, then PHP is the unix equivilant (except it runs on Windows too!). PHP basically lets you generate pages on the fly depending on the data that has been passed to it. For example, on this site, I don't have 1000 pages with
    /show/1000/
    /show/99/
    etc, I have a PHP script which parses the ID from the URL, and retreives the pages from the database.

• 18 years ago

... don't you mean you have an ASP page where a PHP script could do the same thing?

• 18 years ago

... at the time I wrote that response, the site was using php

• 18 years ago

oh rite

what made you decide to change to ASP then? isn't PHP supposedly more reliable and fast? dunno, myself, i use both

i noticed in a post you'd posted in january that you were taking exams. if you don't mind me enquiring, which level were they? (A2/Uni etc.)

also how much do you charge people to advertise here? i'm wondering how much i should charge, i suppose the number of hits is involved... would any advertisers be interested in a 200-a-day site?

• 18 years ago

Linux -> PHP -> SQL

The three things you need. Probably Xfree to

• 18 years ago

you could also do with Apache

• 18 years ago

omg this post was like a year old i can't beleive its still on the servers!

• 18 years ago

ReyMan:

yep... must be about as old a post as you can get... haven't bothered to clear up the forum yet though... blame paulfp for bringing it up again

paulfp:

simple reason? I'd been offered free hosting by MaximumASP, and wanted to take them up on it plus I wanted to learn asp.net anyway, so I went ahead and switched from php to asp.net

In January 2002, i was taking an AS physics module, but I'm taking my final A Level exams now

advertising.... well... to be honest, it depends who asks us... We usually aim for $2 per 1000 impressions as a minimum, but the banner networks tend to get us far less than that... (we serve around 1 million impressions a month).

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time.” - Tom Cargill