Marketability of Skills - Perl or PHP?

• 14 years ago
    Hi,

I've spent the last seven years developing stuff on Microsoft platforms - first in classic asp and then in asp.net when it came out.

To my astonishment, I then managed to land a job working in Unix. I suspect it's because the job is mainly management rather than programming, but I'm keen to keep my eye in and I think it helps you stay in touch with what life's like for your staff.

Anyway, I digress. I team here works with a lot of different technologies - mainly Perl but also with some PhP. Clearly I need to pick one to start my unix development learning curve but the question is, which one? Perl is the one that gets used most but I'm concerned that it's no longer a very marketable skill nowadays - I have no evidence for this, never having worked in the Perl community but it's just not something that seems to appear on a lot of job ads.

So in terms of my future career which am I best off learning, Perl or PhP? Also, out of interest, is there much demand for developers who can work in both the MS and Unix paradigms?

Cheers,
    Matt

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot” - Rich Julius