DBA Functions - which one should I use?!

• 19 years ago

I'm used to ASP but have been comissioned to built a web site to be hosted on a Linux server which will support only PHP not ASP (don't ask me what web server software they're using, I haven't managed to drag that out of them!!!)

I'm used to using Microsoft Access Databases, but my "teach urself php in 24hrs" book talks about these DBM systems supported by DBA functions. the types listed are

cdmb, db2, db3, dbm, gdbm and ndmb

I'm using WinXP Pro and IIS 5.1 which DMB should I use?

also, do the databases work differently so there isn't actually a . file that I can treat like an access database? do I not like make the database, name my columns etc etc?

or can I infact use an Access database in an PHP (preferably without a DSN)???? if so please could you tell me of a tutorial as my book only deals with DBMs and mySQL (which i downloaded but it went straight over my head!!)

thanks

• 19 years ago

As far as I am aware, the only database functions that will work with an Access database are the odbc ones.

For speed, stability, security and scalability, MySQL is definatly far better than Access... infact it beats Access into a bloody pulp without breaking a sweat.  
    As for the IIS, I would seriously suggest you ditch it, and go with Apache.

MySQL and Apache may appear to be complicated at first look, but if you take the time to read the documentation you will find that you can learn a lot in a very short period of time.  And any site that you develope on Apache/PHP/MySQL can be moved to just about any machine (the wonders of open-source software )

IF you're gonna install mysql and want a GUI, try phpMyAdmin.  Its very easy to configure adn is much easier to use than the command line interface.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Anyone who considers arithmetic methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” - John von Neumann