Capture Windows application results

asp.net Puerto Rico
  • 14 years ago

Hi,

I got this problem:

One user is going to be working with a windows application and a webpage at the same time, and I need the webpage to capture some data that the windows application is going to generate related to the form in the webpage.

How can I do this.

• 14 years ago
    Add a webbrowser control in the windows app for the user to use that to view the web page. That way you have programatic access from the window app to the browser and all of its contents > the html DOM of the page.  You can programatically fill out forms, click btns, links read fields etc....

• 14 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is they can't be together like that.

• 13 years ago

So what are you actually developing, the win form & website or one or the other. You can't access the client machine from a browser unless it has an activeX object on the page and I don't like your chances of a simple solution in hooking into IE or other browser from a windows app.

Please give more details

• 13 years ago

Ok,

I have developed a task for ArcGIS Explorer that gets the coordinates of a map. The user is going to be filling a form in the webpage and if he clicks the map in the ArcGIS Explorer I have to reference those coordinates with the data in the webpage.

I was thinking: With the task create a file in the user’s computer with the coordinates in it and read the file from the webpage. Read the file from the webpage I think is impossible.

• 13 years ago

Yep you can't get client file access with html or javascript. You can get it with an activeX object but the user has to grant permission to download and run it on the web page. I've never developed such an object but if you google it there may be some code. Else there are Microsoft HTA app's > an IE browser (page with .hta instead of .htm) that runs as an application therefore has client file access but again the user has to grant permission.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are only 3 numbers of interest to a computer scientist: 1, 0 and infinity”