AutoResetEvents triggered by inbound requests? Thread limits?

• 13 years ago

Hi all,

If I have a thread created by an Async HTTP handler that is set in a waiting state using an AutoResetEvent. Is it possible to call trigger.set() from another thread spawned later in the same application domain? What I would like to do is free these threads when an another HTTP request comes in.

I want to do this in response to a trigger on a DB. Instead of polling the DB for updates I want to call a URL from SQL using managed code in order to make use of this thread synchronization in the manner described. This is intended to reduce CPU overhead and allow this application to be scaleable.

Also, how many of these idle threads can I have in one process?  I know that IIS will not let me have no more than around 8000 concurrent connections and that ASP.NET will not handle more than 25 of these requests at once and more will get queued.  But using an Async HTTP Handler kind of removes the 25 thread ASP.NET limit although it is a connection bottle neck still.  Is 2000 in-process threads asking too much?  Once they are triggered their CPU usage should be very low.

TIA

NozFx

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” - Mitch Ratcliffe