Merge 3 columns into 1 Column in GridView

• 9 years ago

hi all,

I have three bound columns in my gridview, namely :address 1, address 2, address 3.

-  I want to have a single coulmn instead.

- Where i want to display the text something like (address1 = address 1 + address 2+ address 3)

- Also want to rename the  header 'address 1' to 'Bank Address'.

- Moreover address 2 and address 3 columns should not be visible.

What I tried is:

protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)

{ 

GridView1.Columns[5].HeaderText = "Bank Address";

e.Row.Cells[5].Text = e.Row.Cells[5].Text + e.Row.CellsDevil.Text + e.Row.Cells[7].Text;

GridView1.ColumnsDevil.Visible = false;

GridView1.Columns[7].Visible = false;

}

The above code is not giving the desired output.

Regards,

Royal

• 9 years ago

hi royal ludhiana,
    According to me your code is altmost right but there is small problem with your code.

[quote user="royal ludhiana"]protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)
    {

GridView1.Columns[5].HeaderText =
    "Bank Address";

e.Row.Cells[5].Text = e.Row.Cells[5].Text + e.Row.CellsDevil.Text + e.Row.Cells[7].Text;
    GridView1.ColumnsDevil.Visible =
    false;
    GridView1.Columns[7].Visible = false;
    }

[/quote] 
    You can use this way
    protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)
    {

GridView1.Columns[5].HeaderText = "Bank Address";

e.Row .Cells [5].ColumnSpan =3;
    }

Hope this will help you.
    Thanks & Regards
    Dilipv

• 9 years ago

hi DilipV,

I had already tried this i.e. columnspan this also doesn't give the desired output.

I think its something to do with the bound column. But I am trying to trace it.

Regards,

Royal

• 9 years ago

Royal,

I take it that returning the required combination address as part of the data is not 'optional'?

As another option, how about returning the data as in a custom object that you can then use as a datasource and thereby manipulate the 'columns' as you like.. or would you prefer to stick to bound columns from a datatable/dataset?

Joe

• 9 years ago

Alternatively, add a template column into your grid as follows:

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False">
                <Columns>
                    <asp:BoundField DataField="address" HeaderText="address" visible="false"/>
                    <asp:BoundField DataField="city" HeaderText="city" visible="false"/>
                    <asp:BoundField DataField="region" HeaderText="region" visible="false"/>
                    <asp:BoundField DataField="postalcode" HeaderText="postalcode" visible="false"/>
                    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Full Address">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                            <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label">
                                <%# Eval("address") + ", " + Eval("city") + ", " + Eval("region") + ", " + Eval("postalcode")%>
                            </asp:Label>                       
                        </ItemTemplate>
                    </asp:TemplateField>
                </Columns>
            </asp:GridView>

then all you need to do is return the rquired "bound" data, and let the template do the rest:

private void LoadEmployeeAddress()
            {
                string con = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["NorthwindDatabase"];
                string sql = "select address, city, region, postalcode from employees;";

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
                SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter(sql, con);
                da.Fill(ds);

GridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables[0];
                GridView1.DataBind();
            }

Joe

• 9 years ago

hi Joe,

Right on Target Wink Yes

Regards,

Royal

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'” - Isaac Asimov