DetailsView Updating With Old Values

asp.net , db Bulgaria
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, Now I'm sure this was working the other day and I don't think I've changed anything but now it's not working and I can't see anything wrong with the code. Basically I have a details view with product information in it, when the user clicks edit it goes into edit mode when I change any of the fields and click update it updates but with the old values. Here is my detailsview:

<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateRows="False" Height="50px" Width="50%" CellPadding="4" ForeColor="Black" BackColor="#CCCCCC" BorderColor="#999999" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="3px" CellSpacing="2">

<Fields>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Product Name">

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:TextBox ID="ProductNameTextBox" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("itemname") %>'></asp:TextBox>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="ProductName" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("itemname") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

</asp:TemplateField>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Description">

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:TextBox ID="DescriptionTextBox" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("description") %>'></asp:TextBox>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="Description" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("description") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Price">

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:TextBox ID="PriceTextBox" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("price", "{0:c}") %>'></asp:TextBox>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="Price" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("price", "{0:c}") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Quantity">

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:TextBox ID="QuantityTextBox" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("stock") %>'></asp:TextBox>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="Quantity" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("stock") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True"/>

</Fields>

<HeaderTemplate>

<%#Eval ("itemname") %>

</HeaderTemplate>

</asp:DetailsView>

And here is my VB code with the item updating function that is called when the edit button is clicked. 

Protected Sub DetailsView1_ItemUpdating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs) Handles DetailsView1.ItemUpdating

Dim name As TextBox = DetailsView1.FindControl("ProductNameTextBox")

Dim description As TextBox = DetailsView1.FindControl("DescriptionTextBox")

Dim price As TextBox = DetailsView1.FindControl("PriceTextBox")

Dim quantity As TextBox = DetailsView1.FindControl("QuantityTextBox")

Dim ItemId As Integer = DetailsView1.DataKey.Value

Dim updatedName As String = name.Text

Dim updatedDescription As String = description.Text

Dim updatedPrice As Decimal = price.Text

Dim updatedQuantity As Integer = quantity.Text

conn = New SqlConnection(strConn)cmd = New SqlCommand("UpdateProductDetails", conn)

cmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure

cmd.Parameters.Add("@ItemId", Data.SqlDbType.Int)

cmd.Parameters("@ItemId").Value = ItemId

cmd.Parameters.Add("@Name", Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50)

cmd.Parameters("@Name").Value = updatedName

cmd.Parameters.Add("@Description", Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 255)

cmd.Parameters("@Description").Value = updatedDescription

cmd.Parameters.Add("@Price", Data.SqlDbType.SmallMoney)

cmd.Parameters("@Price").Value = updatedPrice

cmd.Parameters.Add("@Quantity", Data.SqlDbType.Int)

cmd.Parameters("@Quantity").Value = updatedQuantity

Try

conn.Open()

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

Catch

Label1.Text = "Error updating product in database!"

Finally

conn.Close()

End Try

DetailsView1.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly)

GetProductDetails()

End Sub

I tried adding a label to my asp.net page and then once updatedName had been assigned the value of the textbox I tried assigning that value to the label and it printed out the old product name not the one in the textbox. I can't see anything wrong with the code and it's driving me mad. Anyone got any ideas? 

• 12 years ago

hi, i think you miss something, try to see the table where you save the value of the fields you entered if it change anything, if it change anything, then you have put some code on your SP that retrieves data after the UPDATE code that you have.

• 12 years ago
    The product table is not updating with the new values. I think the problem is to do with the new values from the textbox not being retrieved. As when I assign updatedName to Label1 it displays the old product name value and not the one in the textbox. But I can't see why it wouldn't be bringing back the new textbox values.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“To iterate is human, to recurse divine” - L. Peter Deutsch