Problem with getting cell values of gridview

• 12 years ago

Hi

I jus tried to get the cell value of gridview using the following code,but it returns nothing..can anyone help me to find what goes wrong with my code

Protected Sub GridView1_RowCommand(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewCommandEventArgs) Handles GridView1.RowCommand

If e.CommandName = "Select" Then

Dim idx As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument)

Dim row As GridViewRow = GridView1.Rows(idx)

LblDisplay.Text =
    "Customer Id: " & row.Cells(1).Text.ToString

'End If

End Sub

Regards

Shiji

• 12 years ago

hi Shiji,

try out this:

lblDispplay.text = gridview1.rows[idx].cells[0].text;

this will give you the text in first cell of the selected row. instead of 0 you can specify the column no. whose value you want to get.

Regards,

Royal

• 12 years ago

Hi

I tried this too.But am not getting the cell value.I can get upto index value.Dont know wats the problem in getting cell value...

• 12 years ago

try e.item.itemindex

as in:

gridview.items(e.item.itemindex).cells(0).text

That should work.

I made a post yesterday about client side validation with a link to my video site. As it happens, this video shows the code working too so if you have 10 minutes it is worth a watch.

Hope this helps

Tom.

http://tech.kruelintent.com

• 12 years ago

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply,but even this one also giving the problem

I will be grateful if you give the complete coding inside the rowcommand event of the gridview to retrieve the cell value......

Regards,

Shiji.

• 12 years ago

Watch the video on my site mate, the code is shown in that.

Failing that.... This is me grabbing a textbox (and it's contents) from a datagrid....

Protected Sub item_click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs)

lblMessage.Text = ""

If e.CommandSource.CommandName = "Clicked" Then

If grdDemo.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).Cells(0).Controls.Count > 0 Then

Dim myTextBox As TextBox = grdDemo.Items(e.Item.ItemIndex).Cells(0).FindControl("txtPopMeUp")

If Not IsNothing(myTextBox) Then

If Trim(myTextBox.Text) <> "" Then

lblMessage.Text = ("Message from the server side: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & myTextBox.Text & " must be a valid date!")

End If

End If

End If

End If

End Sub

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debuggers don't remove bugs. They only show them in slow motion.”