Connection String Problem

asp.net , db , xml Chicoutimi-Jonquière, Canada
  • 9 years ago

Hi all,

At present I am using a connection string stored in my web.config file. What I want to know is that, when I deploy this appication on another network(intranet), how can I manage this connection string?

Certain issues related to this are:

- In my web application I have an option to create a new company. If a new company is created, I want that the blank database should be created with the company name. how this is possbile and in this case how I'll manage my connection string?

Regards,

Royal

• 9 years ago

The web.config is an xml file and I think there are a few 3th party tools that you can buy to work with it on a live server. But I would not do that because I believe that anytime you change your web.config you force your whole site to recompile.

I think the best way to handle these database connections is to put them in a main database. Which is a smart way to do it anyway it makes managing these other companies alot easyer. You can create a class that will pull the right database connection from the main database for each companies.

• 9 years ago

Thanks Freon. I am working on it, if I get struct at any point I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Royal

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” - Brian Kernighan