filter dataview on datagrid in datalist

datalist , asp.net , datagrid , rowfilter United States
  • 11 years ago

I had a setup where I had a datalist of course listings, and when the items were created I went out to a remote sql server and retrieved the faculty for each course. But, that seems to take too long to load, so I thought it would be faster to go get all the data at once on page load and then filter with data views. But, I can't seem to get there. I tested on a datagrid outside the datalist and it populates with 3 rows fine. (Number one - is my assumption correct? Number two - what am I doing wrong? Is the Public Data.dataView not available when I'm trying to call it?)

It stops on the line 'dv.RowFilter = "eid=" & myEID.ToString with the error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If I comment out the line, I get no datagrids.

Imports dsList
    Partial Class orpce_hcClasses
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
        Public ds As New Data.DataSet
        Public myFacView As Data.DataView
        Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
                Dim myList As dsSql = New dsSql()   ''''instantiate the function to get dataset
                Dim myView As Data.DataView
                Dim myStr As String = ""
                ds = myList.dsListAll(go get the initial course datalist dataset)
                If ds.Tables("list").Rows.Count > 0 Then
                    myView = ds.Tables("list").DefaultView
                    dlList.DataSource = myView
                    myView.Sort = "startSort"
                    dlList.DataBind()
                    If ds.Tables("list").Rows.Count > 0 Then
                        Dim i As Integer
                        For i = 0 To ds.Tables("list").Rows.Count - 1
                            myStr &= ds.Tables("list").Rows(i)("eid").ToString & ","
                        Next
                        myStr = Left(myStr, Len(myStr) - 1)
                    End If
                    ds = myList.dsListFac(myStr)
                    myFacView = New Data.DataView
                    myFacView = ds.Tables("faculty").DefaultView
                End If
            End If
        End Sub

Protected Sub dlList_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListItemEventArgs) Handles dlList.ItemDataBound
            Dim myEID As String = Convert.ToInt32(CType(e.Item.FindControl("txtEID"), TextBox).Text)
            Dim dv As Data.DataView
            Dim dg As DataGrid = CType(e.Item.FindControl("dgFac"), DataGrid)
            dv = myFacView
            'dv.RowFilter = "eid=" & myEID.ToString
            dg.DataSource = dv
            dg.DataBind()
        End Sub

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Engineers are all basically high-functioning autistics who have no idea how normal people do stuff.” - Cory Doctorow