Dumb question ??

• 19 years ago

Hi

I was looking for help on how to pass a window handle from VB to a C++ dll and use it in an API call.

Example of passing a long and Multiplying by 2 :-

(VB code)
    Private Declare Function TimesTwo Lib "MyTestDll.dll" (ByVal FirstParam As Long) As Long

Private Sub Form_Load()
       Debug.Print TimesTwo(2)
    End Sub

(DLL code)

define MYTESTDLLEXIM extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)

include "main.h"

MYTESTDLLEXIM long _stdcall TimesTwo( long FirstParam)
    {
       return ( FirstParam * 2);
    }

Example end

This shows that passing a few variables to a dll to deal with some complicated/time consuming maths is actually quite easy. The above example returns 4.

Now back to my original question as I side tracked a little there to try to clarify my question. Look at this incomplete/incorrect example and see if you can understand what I want to achieve.

(VB code)
    Private Declare Function FlashForm Lib "MyTestDll.dll" (ByVal hwnd As Long)

Private Sub Form_Load()
      Flashform(Me.hwnd)
    End Sub

(DLL code)

define MYTESTDLLEXIM extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)

include "main.h"

include <window.h>

MYTESTDLLEXIM long stdcall FlashForm( long hwndPassed)
    {
                  // This is the bit I'm stuck on
                  FlashWindow(handle of form1 goes here, 1)   // 1 = Invert
       return (0);
    }

Example end

I want to pass form1 window handle and use the FlashWindow API in the dll to flash the form.
    Thats it..  Can I say, before I get flamed, that I just want to get to grips with C++ instruction set first so I can augment my VB with dlls and I dont want to get swamped with learning Visual C++ totally at this point. I have asked in various IRC channels and basically was told to @#$#@ and learn C++. You dont need to be a mechanic to drive a car do you ?? and I only do this for fun

Ok.. hope this isnt too lame a question

Thanks

• 19 years ago

I hardly know any C++, but can't you do

Code:
    MYTESTDLLEXIM long stdcall FlashForm( long hwndPassed)
    {
                  // This is the bit I'm stuck on
                  FlashWindow(hwnd_Passed, 1)   // 1 = Invert
       return (0);
    }

???

• 19 years ago

First, thanks for your reply

Well your suggestion is exactly what I tried before asking here.
    The problem is that VB passes the hwnd as long and C++ uses a different data type for handles.
    So when I compile it returns the error :-

"Cannot cast long to _Struct hwnd"

So other than using the FindWindow API which kinda defeats the object when VB is supposedly passing a handle, I'm still stuck....

Anyway, at least you had a good go

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“God could create the world in six days because he didn't have to make it compatible with the previous version.”