Use .ini as a resource

vb6 Kuwait
  • 14 years ago

Hi All,

i am using  an .INI file in my application. but i want to use it as a resource, say embedded in some dll, rather to make it viewable physically.

how can i make it possible?

plz help...

thanks for your time in advance...

-Gouri

• 14 years ago

any ideas...plzz...

• 14 years ago

Using an .ini I'm not quite sure by what u mean by an embedding an .dll but there are two API calls which lets you save and get program information from an .ini what they are I can't remeber and the site I've been using for API is at  home right now.... try query the msdn libary about it.

• 14 years ago

Hi! thanks for your response.

let me elaborate my problem:

i am using .INI files as a database file for my project which at present i have kept on the App path. but i dont want that file to be visible by anyone so, i wish to hide it. i think it can be embedded into a .dll so as to access it from there.

but i dont know how to implement it. is there any other way to implement this task? any ideas??

• 14 years ago

I don't think so .ini files arn't mean't to be used as a database there the old equivilent to the windows registry, used to store the program settings (route path) etc. look at the windows registry for an example.

a better way to do a flat-file database and not to not let anyone see the contents is to use a .dat file with the file system commands there a lot easier than ado or dao langerages given that its a flat file to create a record create a new type eg.:

Type NameRecord
    name as string * 15
     end Type

Public sub Writetodatabase(byval strname as string)

Dim Person as NameRecord
    Dim Intfile as Integer

fido.name = strname

Intfile = freefile() 'sets Intfile equal to the next free filenumber

Open filename.dat for random Len=Len(nameRecord) as Intfile 'Len Is the size of the record
    Put Intfile, [record number], fido 'record number is optional
    close Intfile

End sub

and to retive a record

Public Function RetiveRecord as nameRecord

Dim Intfile as Integer
    Dim Person as Record

Intfile = freefile()
    Open filename.dat for random Len=Len(nameRecord) as Intfile
    Get Intfile,[record number], Person
    RetiveRecord = Person

End sub

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter” - Eric Raymond