Very hard query

vb6 Kuwait
  • 15 years ago

I have to place a query, which returns only one line, in one table where the same employee could be found in two lines (he/she has two employee numbers (two different companies)). Naturally he has the very same name and could have two different careers (like doctor and teacher).

Employee Joe Smith Employee number 21 job doctor

Employee Joe Smith Employee number 22 job teacher

Dim cTemp as string

cTemp = “Joe Smith”

Select employee, number-1, job-1, number-2, job-2 from employees where employee =  cTemp

That’s my problem: how can I catch  two different numbers and jobs in two different lines.

Any suggestions???

Best Regards,
    Julio Borges
    Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

• 15 years ago

Hi Julio,

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem!!

If you add a module to your project and declare a structure:

Option Explicit

'Record Structure
    Public Type employeerecord
    empname(10) As String
    empnumber(10) As String
    empjob(10) As String

End Type

In your code block add:

Dim emprecord as employeerecord
    Dim counter as Integer

counter = 0

sqlstring = "select employee, number, job from employees where employee =  '" & cTemp & "'"
    Set rstRecordSet = conconnection.Execute(sqlstring)
        While Not rstRecordSet.EOF
              If Not IsNull(rstRecordset!employee) Then emprecord(counter).empname = rstRecordset!employee

If Not IsNull(rstRecordset!number) Then emprecord(counter).empnumber = rstRecordset!number

If Not IsNull(rstRecordset!job) Then emprecord(counter).empjob = rstRecordset!job

If Not rstRecordset.EOF Then

rstRecordset.MoveNext

counter = counter + 1

End If

Wend  

This should loop thru your recordset and find every occurence of your search criteria person and put their details in a structure which can be looped thru.

The thing I dont understand is why the same person would be in your database twice with different jobs???

Hope this helps,

Bob         

• 15 years ago

If you are trying to print 2 different records in same line as,

ID-1       Name-1             Job-1           ID-2               Number-2           Job-2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21          Joe Smith           Doctor          22                  Joe Smith             Teacher 

Unfortunately this is not posible, but yes you can print in 2 different lines with this query,

Select * From Employees Where Employee = cTemp

If this is your requirement to print the records in same line then you can fetch the records using above query and then manually print the all the records in same line using VB code.

• 15 years ago

Hi jborges, 

Thing u r trying to achieve i don't thing is possible in a query unless and until u r sure
    to have exactly 0 to  2 records for an employee.

The good solution is to loop, as suggested....

But still if u want, the above thing can be achieved, but is very restrictive and will not have a good performance. U can use the following query if u are sure to not more than 2 records for an employee.

SELECT  A.empid, A.empname, A.number N1, A.jobno J1, 

(Select B.number From Employee B Where A.empid = B.empid and A.jobno <> B.jobno) N2,         (Select C.jobno From Employee C Where A.empid = C.empid and A.jobno <> C.jobno) J2
    FROM Employee A
    WHERE rownum =1

This is really a wrong way of writing a query, unless and until u gurantee so many things.
    It would be better if we could, select 2 columns in the single query instead of two in the main Select clause.

Regards,
    ASD.

• 15 years ago

Thanks to all that tryed to help me.

I think now that my real problem is to make a better database design. I'll describe my whole problem and try to understand how can I make a better table design.

I'll keep you posted.

Julio Borges

• 15 years ago

I indeed wrote the problem and I just posted in VB database thread.

Thanks to you all.
    Julio Borges

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot” - Rich Julius