network print charger

• 14 years ago

Don't know where to start for this one, I want to write a program to charge for printing.

All the network printers are shared through the server (MS Server 2003).

So I assume I would just need to run the program on the server in the background.

Users would be given a quota (number of pages per school term before charges are applied)

When the user approaches their quota, a message will be sent to them. they will have the oppurtunity to pre-purchase more pages. If the user has reached their quota and they have not topped up their account, printing will be denied.

The program would watch for successful print jobs and place their username and number of pages printed into a database to adjust the tally.

If their is something I've missed, or if their is any easier way.(without spending a fortune on programs like pea counter.) please let me know.

So... the big question is how do I intercept the print requests. If you have any sample code, or links to tutorials, that would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Novavb6

• 14 years ago
    Doing a quick google search I found many programs you can purchase for under $100 that allow VB scripts to do all sorts of printer monitoring.  I did find one that was shareware, though it looks to be a stand alone program and not a module.  You may still find a use for it, or use things like sendkeys to automate it.  Anyway, the shareware program can be found here.

• 14 years ago

Hi I think the best poduct you can buy for this type of solution is a product called the personal print system or otherwise known as safecom.  A company called ITQ in newbury supply it.

good luck

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perl - The only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.” - Keith Bostic