Visual Basic 2008 - Automatic USB Port Connection Question

vb6 Romania
  • 10 years ago

I am using Visual Basic Express 2008.  Is there a way to check each USB port for device captions(description) and then when the device is found, connect to that device?

I have an application that uses 2 USB devices; I currently have to tell the programme which port each USB device is on; for example by using the line Device.Device_Connection(12) in the main class:

Class Device

Function Connection (ByVal COM_Port)

SerialPort.PortName = "COM" & COM_Port.To String

SerialPort. ect ect   .Open()

Problem nature of the application...these ports keep changing (the devices are the same) 

Is there a way that the status of every port can be automatically detected, for example.. For Each port: check device ID or caption, if caption is the Required Device then connect to that port? 

I think that this may be done by accessing WMI or with the My.Computer.Ports statement however I am unsure how to go about using these?

Any advice or pointers recieved with thanks 

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand.” - Martin Fowler